Don’t let this Holiday Season become a Festival of Frights
Some tips to keep your pets safe this holiday season:
Avoid a fiery Hanukkah - Don't leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure to use a sturdy menorah appropriate , placed on a stable surface that is out of reach of pets. And if you leave the room, put the candles out; while Maccabees wouldn't like this, your pets, family and friends will appreciate you looking out for their well being!
Prevent toppling trees – Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet or family members. This will also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset—from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea should your pet drink.
Avoid Mistletoe & Holly: Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.
Tinsel-less Town: Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching “toy” that’s easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It’s best to brighten your boughs with something other than tinsel.
Wired Up: Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.