Two Common Toxins to Watch Out For

Cats and dogs ingest things that people wouldn’t think to eat or that may not be harmful to us but are detrimental to our pets.

Two often, fatalities occur from these two common plant/flower species:

Lilies

Members of the Lilium spp. are considered to be highly toxic to cats. While the poisonous component has not yet been identified, it is clear that with even ingestions of very small amounts of the plant, severe kidney damage could result.

If Lilly ingestion is suspected, don’t wait, get your companion cat over to your veterinarian immediately!

Sago Palm

The sago palm is all too common as a Texas palm tree, and has devastating effects on the livers of companion animals. Dogs usually present with issues, but cats can be affected as well. They’re just less likely to chew on palm trees. 

All parts of the sago palm (Cycas Revoluta) including leaves and bark are poisonous, but the seeds or “nuts” contain the largest amount of toxin. The ingestion of just one or two seeds can result in very serious effects, which include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures, liver failure and death.

These trees are very broad based, which makes it easy to distinguish from other non-harmful palm tress. If one is within reach of your pets, outside or inside, it should be removed immediately.

About the author: Hilary Granson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.